On Friday 11 May 2007 21:50, George Osvald wrote:
> My experience with Reiser is exact opposite. Exf3 has not caused any
> problems to me ever. Reiser corrupted the file system a couple of times
> beyond the point of recovery. Also the recovery in Exf3 is much faster.
> Exf3 simply replays the journal and that's it. Reiser was re-playing
> records one by one and that usually took much longer (both tested on AMD 64
> with 1GB of memory)
        Your reported experience is irrelevant to the discussion. Reiserfs is
technically what it is... no more... no less.  It is a superior filesystem to
EXTx for several technical reasons which are incompatible with your
experience. I would have to question your experience.  This is a technical
discussion, not a religious testimony.

        Having said all of that--- EXTx does work... very well... has for many
many
years and will continue to for many many more years. But, reiserfs is
better... hands down. (or should I say Hans down)

        The technical achievement of reiserfs is also completely not relevant
whether Hans Reiser allegedly murdered his own wife. From the looks of things
the trial is going to be very complicated... her lover is a known (confessed)
serial murderer... "he" probably did it. On the other hand we all may be
looking at a simple case of murderous rage after jealousy.  It doesn't matter
to the technical community... all of my systems are running reiserfs and have
for several years now... flawlessly, I might add.

        As a postscript... I remember one problem I had with reiserfs with SuSE
Professional 9.0--- the machine went down in a thunder storm and following
would not reboot. The index was so honked that fsck would not run
automatically.  I had to boot into recovery mode and manually run reiserfsck
with a rebuild-index. It ran for about 22 seconds, rebuilt the index--- the
journal restored the meta data... and whalla, the machine was back on-line in
less than five minutes... and most of that time was spent trying to find my
recovery CD.  :-P

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><