M Harris wrote:
On Friday 08 June 2007 14:56, Bob Kline wrote:
Thanks, that would be a perfect solution, except the group owner is set
to root.  What do I need to configure to get it to be some other group?
Is the scanner usb attached,

Yes.

and do the devices get built dynamically?

Yes, but not at bootup time. They're created when root invokes (for example) xsane.

I suppose you could make a simple script that you could put into boot.local that could change the group with chgrp.

I'll give it a try, thanks.

Take a look through the sane docs and see if you can figure out how to modify the startups (device scripts) for that device so that you can control the group for the device.

I'll keep looking.

        It seems strange to me that a device like a sane scanner would be root
root.

Seems odd to me, too. At this stage of the evolution of Linux, users like myself who are not professional systems administrators have come to expect that things like scanners Just Work (as this one did under Fedora), so I must have done something incredibly clumsy when installing SuSE to have messed up YaST's ability to configure the scanner correctly (where "correctly" means "with permissions that allow normal user accounts to use the device").

Thanks again.  I'll keep trying.

--
Bob Kline
http://www.rksystems.com