Carlos E. R. wrote:
The Friday 2007-06-08 at 15:56 -0400, Bob Kline wrote:
Thanks, that would be a perfect solution, except the group owner is set to
root.  What do I need to configure to get it to be some other group?

Before going that road, try adding yourself to the root group and see if it works, because it might not.

Indeed it does not.

I remember investigating a similar problem in this list time ago, and in some special cases it wasn't a simple problem of device permissions, it is way deeper.

Have a look here, for instance:

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB%3AConfiguring_Scanners_from_SUSE_LINUX_9.2#libusb_.2B_resmgr_.2B_PAM

These lead me to advice on configuring /etc/resmgr.conf. I've been trying this approach, but without any success. I've added:

 add usb:any desktop
 allow desktop tty=/dev/tty[1-9]* || tty=tty[1-9]* || tty=:0

at the bottom of that file, restarted the resmgr daemon, logged out of the machine and back in as a regular user, and still no luck.

Is it really expected that any mortal Linux user who wants the scanner to work will be willing to endure this much pain gladly? :-)

I also found this:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2006-April/016464.html
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2006-April/016468.html

from a SuSE 10.0 user, who was experiencing the same symptoms, which he tracked down to a policy change introduced by SuSE in 10.0. I tried his technique of adding a file in /etc/resmgr.conf.d (plugging in the right values from my sane-find-scanner output), but though it worked for him, it didn't work on my machine. I saw the advice in that thread about looking in the YaST2 logs, but I saw nothing useful there.

--
Bob Kline
http://www.rksystems.com