Op Friday 22 June 2007 00:53:18 schreef Pueblo Native:
> While some of these points may have more or less merit to them, the
> first one is a no-starter:
> "There is *already a standard ISO26300 named Open Document Format
> (ODF)*: a dual standard adds cost to industry, government and citizens;"
>
> Now, I use OO and love it, but I am not so arrogant as to assume that it
> is or should be the ONLY standard out there.  Let a thousand flowers
> bloom and let the consumer decide what they want.  As long as they have
> that power, I'm happy even if they choose Microsoft's OXML format.

So it's better to have 2 different standards definitions for e.g. for speed
km/h s miles/h - temperature celsius vs fahrenheit, lenght, like: 1 meter and
1 inch?
Ask NASA about the latter.  Didn't they loose a satelite because the mixed
meters with inches or something like that.
From this alone one can see that it is better to have 1 standard to be used by
many applications.  Now this gives total freedom to the customer.

--
Richard Bos
We are borrowing the world of our children,