On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 10:40 +0200, Clayton wrote:
> On 8/7/07, Registration Account <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > As you know clamAV provides NO realtime virus detection
> > and from time to time we all need to execute a clamscan
> > - Well I just performed a clamscan and found 4 folder
> > which a year or so stored and catagorised emails and
> > all 4 folders were infected with
> > Phishing.Heuristics.emal.spoofedDomain virus's. As
> > almost all emails are held in mbox format I would
> > suggest everyone to run a scan periodically. Remember
> > clamAV provides NO repeat NO real time protection, even
> > if you copy them to a MS Windows or NSF drive or open
> > an infected file or execute an infected .bin file
>
> But... that isn't a Linux virus is it?  That is an email with stuff in
> it that is only "triggered" when you respond to the contents... (click
> on link, provide personal information in a reply etc)  ie.. it is a
> social engineering virus, not a Linux virus.

On this subject.

If/When Linux makes it big-time on the desktop do you think it will also
be bogged down with virus attacks as MS is now.

Why is it assumed that Linux is less prone to virus attacks?  I know to
install stuff in the system, root is necessary, but installing and
running dangerous stuff in the user home directories is easy; you just
need a cunning app to fool the user in executing malicious code.
(given, doing this in Win is easier, but not impossible in any flavour
Linux)

Hans

E-Mail disclaimer:
http://www.sunspace.co.za/emaildisclaimer.htm