On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 01:35 -0800, John Andersen wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 August 2007, Hans van der Merwe wrote:
> > But my main concern is that dumb users usually make up most of the
> > desktop market out there - and preaching to them that Linux will make
> > there virus problem go away is setting them up for a fall.
>
> I fail to see how it sets them up for a fall.
> There has to be a something to fall over before there is a fall.
>
> What would YOU SUGGEST we "preach" to them?

Again - the SETUP will involve removing windows and installing a flavour
of linux to curb the effects of viruses.  The FALL will be when they
click yes to something they dont understand (not Linux fault, yes I
know) and then having their docs trashed - leaving them exactly where
they were with windows.  They and the media will not be interested in
how it happened, just that it happened.

Yes this is not in any way the fault of Linux or Linux programmers or
distros etc, BUT telling users to install Linux because it will help for
viruses is IMHO irresponsible.

Hans

E-Mail disclaimer:
http://www.sunspace.co.za/emaildisclaimer.htm