James Knott wrote:
Tero Pesonen wrote:

I'd be too. But when the person asks me why they need to run alsaconf as root after each reboot to get sound, I tell them I have no idea, as I need to do it myself too. Or why they need to run k3b as root to burn something. When they ask why this or that peripheral does not work, or how to have it work, I say I do not know. Linux desktop, to me, is already almost too difficult to administer. I'm happy to have my own PC running more or less trouble-free. I cannot provide help to others; I lack the expertise.

I dont think I've ever had to do either as root, certainly not k3b.

Yes, very bizarre symptoms, I've never seen that, and I have suse 10.2 installed on 8 computers including a couple of laptops. His computer needs some service, there's something wrong.

If he were a windoze user, that problem would not magically cure itself, he'd have to take it to someone knowledgable and (hopefully) honest, and get it fixed.

Joe