On Wednesday 08 August 2007 19:03, Tero Pesonen wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 August 2007, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> >
> > Kind of like using 2nd Graders to research in nuclear
> > fission/fusion.
>
> You mean that the people who would begin using Linux, should it ever
> grow popular on desktop, would not behave like that? Have you ever
> spoken to a non-geek in your life? Have you watched a non-geek use a
> computer?

Yep, sure have. Took a disk over to a friends house because he was
complaining about getting all the malware. Installed linux, showed him
where everything was and he was a happy camper. It does everything he
needs the computer for. His wife even likes it better than windows.

It's even more fun to take my laptop to work, and show off a bit. I've
got an entire building of non-geeks. They are amazed at how nice it
looks. So far I've gotten about 5 or 6 to switch at home.

> Seriously, check your attitude. There's a world out there. And that
> world is not populated by Linux professionals. And no, these people
> are not 2nd graders. They are.. err.. computer users?

No, it isn't. And by working in a school, I know what the second graders
are capable of. Nuclear fission? Naa. Screwing up a computer? Yep..
Been there done that.

> Anyway, Linux desktop is too difficult for them. So fear not, they're
> not coming. So no need to experiment/research on them.

Not at all. If someone asks, I'll be glad to show them how it works. I'm
not going to force it on anyone. It's not difficult at all. If it was
my wife wouldn't be sitting down right now working with it..

Mike