On Thursday 09 August 2007, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [08-08-07 16:21]:
> > Yes, very bizarre symptoms, I've never seen that, and I have suse
> > 10.2 installed on 8 computers including a couple of laptops. His
> > computer needs some service, there's something wrong.
>
> Well, he *said* that he couldn't handle system administration!

Indeed. I'm mainly on Linux because I need accessible desktop, and the
only desktop that can provide me a pleasant computing experience is KDE,
and perhaps Gnome, too, if I fiddled with that long enough.

Sure, there are also a number of issues still present on KDE, related to
usability for poor-sighted people. But at least one can file bug reports.
The same applies to OpenOffice.org, which has some serious issues in
handling highcontrast modes. Luckily, the bug reports are being handled
and the developers seem to take these issues seriously.

Unfortunaly, there's very little I can do myself, as I'm no developer. I
try to help by checking bug reports and trying to verify some etc. And
since OOo is not the most intuitive pieces of software around for a
newbie, I've helped others to learn use it. I'm not an expert on it, but
I can get things done on it with comfort.

What comes to K3B, updating the software seems to have cured all non-root
access ills. I use it very rarely, so I did not notice this till today.
What comes to alsaconf, I no longer have a sound system hooked up to my
PC, so can't test whether it might have also cured itself with alsa
update. If I listened music on my PC or needed to play back multimedia,
I'd pay more attention to it and have it fixed. I listen my music on a
dedicated setup now, so have not bothered with the issue.

Others had faced the very same alsaconf issue, too, but I don't know what
their situation is nowadays or what flavour of *NIX they even run.

> > If he were a windoze user, that problem would not magically cure
> > itself, he'd have to take it to someone knowledgable and (hopefully)
> > honest, and get it fixed.
>
> It won't for linux either.  He'll have to *ask* for help, but I
> haven't seen any requests   :^)

Yes, but there are no pending help requests now. I've tried my best to
help others, as I've said, but have found my own knowledge very limited.
That's why I try to follow this list. I'm of better use troubleshooting
Windows XP, altough I've not used it since 2002 or thereabout. And I've
tried troubleshootin OS X over phone although I've never even used it.
Surprisingly, that issue got fixed.

I must say that SuSE 8.2 Professional was the most trouble-free
environment I've run.

Tero