Carl Hartung wrote:
> On Tue October 16 2007 11:15:41 am Stan Goodman wrote:
>
>> I did <find -name "mplayer*"> from "/" as root, and turned up nothing
>> recognizable.
>>

> Try 'locate <string>' as normal user, e.g. in this case 'mplayer':
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> locate mplayer
> <... snipped lines 1 thru 35>:
> /usr/share/doc/packages/MPlayer/DOCS/man/cs/mplayer.1
> /usr/share/doc/packages/MPlayer/DOCS/man/de/mplayer.1
> /usr/share/doc/packages/MPlayer/DOCS/man/en/mplayer.
<snip<
> p.s.: you'll want to run 'updatedb' to index newly created/added files or
> they
> won't be 'located' until the next automatic indexing has taken place.

A caveat;  This doesn't appear to be a part of a standard installation
so you may have to install it before it will work.   Also, initially the
locate database will be empty so it will return nothing to your query so
if you do install it, be sure and manually run 'updatedb' from a command
line to fill the database initially.   There seems to be a KDE interface
you can install also to allow typing 'locate:whatever' on your konqueror
URL line.   That would seem to be useful addition.   I didn't see one
for Gnome but it may be there or compatible.

Richard
.