On Tuesday 16 October 2007 11:26:54 am Richard Creighton wrote:
> A caveat;  This doesn't appear to be a part of a standard installation
> so you may have to install it before it will work.   Also, initially the
> locate database will be empty so it will return nothing to your query so
> if you do install it, be sure and manually run 'updatedb' from a command
> line to fill the database initially.   There seems to be a KDE interface
> you can install also to allow typing 'locate:whatever' on your konqueror
> URL line.   That would seem to be useful addition.   I didn't see one
> for Gnome but it may be there or compatible.

Conclusion:
If you install 'locate' it will speed up searches for files and information a
lot, but then don't complain that computer is on occasions slow (when
updating 'locate' database).

If one doesn't like Beagle because it slows down computer, 'locate' with
bursts of update activity can be even nastier, though for short periods and
by default it should be once a day.

That is the reason not to have it as default installation. Old Linux users
will find it, new have to learn why 'locate' or Beagle are useful, first.

--
Regards,
Rajko.