Rajko M. wrote:
> On Saturday 20 October 2007 11:38:16 pm Jim Flanagan wrote:

>> So, thinking that it must be a 10.3 issue, I installed 2 different
>> distros (something I had never done before). Pclinuxos and zenwalk both
>> run fine in gui, pclinuxos is running at 1280x1024 at 60hz. I don't
>> recall what zenwalk ran at, but it was higher than that.
>>
>> So, to me this must be a 10.3 issue. If I'm on the wrong track guys
>> please let me know. I'm not at all sure what to do next as I've never
>> seen a problem where nothing you try works.
>>
> <snip>
>
> # sax2 and Xorg see different BusID's.
>
> That can be xorg or sax2.
> You may try to change manually xorg.conf line:
>    BusID        "2:0:0"
>    BusID        "2:0:1"
> and see if that helps.
>
> If you have multiboot, it will be fine if you can supply
>    head var/log/Xorg.0.log
> for all distros. You can snip output below 'Current Operating System:' line.
> That will tell what version of X Window System they use.
>
> It will be interesting to see what nvidia Xorg.0.log tells.
> BTW, do you have any other Xorg logs in /var/log/

OK guys, sorry for the delay, its been a busy week. (I don't know if its
best to keep posting here or start a new thread, but as this one is
pretty mangled anyway, I'll post here, hope you see it). I had some grub
problems to sort out as well.

As I said in my last post, I took the other cards back and am staying
with my existing radeon 9000 for the moment. It worked acceptably in
10.2. My clean 10.3 install will not load X, nor will sax2 run. I pasted
into 10.3 the xorg.conf from 10.2. This does get X up and I can log in,
but not reliably, certainly not optimally. Sometimes the bottom 1/6th or
so of the screen is black showing no kikker, but most times I get a full
screen. Sometimes apps like Thunderbird freeze with warning to terminate
it. So I still have some work to do here. I have not tried changing the
PCI bus to "2.0.1". Also as I said before, sax will run in yast, but not
in cli, runlevel 5 or 3.

Here are logs currently on the system:

xorg.conf from 10.2 but after running yast>sax in 10.3 that I'm running now
http://pastebin.com/m24b230f

xorg.conf from the 10.3 install that did not work
http://pastebin.com/m4a33cb60

sax.log after running yast>sax in 10.3
http://pastebin.com/m40037ff1

Xorg.0.log
http://pastebin.com/m883c4cb

Xorg.99.log
http://pastebin.com/m7325d2d0

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but the test install I did of
pclinuxos loaded this card with no problems and runs glxgears at about
2200fps on this card (about 7 times faster than I'm getting in 10.3).

pclox xorg.conf
http://pastebin.com/m7eb8eb8f

pclox Xorg.0.log
http://pastebin.com/m68e2233

I have not tried using this xorg.conf in 10.3 and don't know if that
would be advisable due to different kernel and different xorg version.
Anyway I hope this is easier to follow. I'd certainly appreciate any
help. I don't know if this is a bug or not, but I have to say that I'm
surprised that 10.3 won't pick up my settings that 10.2 did.

Many many thanks,

Jim F