Jim Flanagan wrote:
> Rajko M. wrote:
>> On Saturday 20 October 2007 11:38:16 pm Jim Flanagan wrote:

>>> So, thinking that it must be a 10.3 issue, I installed 2 different
>>> distros (something I had never done before). Pclinuxos and zenwalk both
>>> run fine in gui, pclinuxos is running at 1280x1024 at 60hz. I don't
>>> recall what zenwalk ran at, but it was higher than that.
>>>
>>> So, to me this must be a 10.3 issue. If I'm on the wrong track guys
>>> please let me know. I'm not at all sure what to do next as I've never
>>> seen a problem where nothing you try works.
>>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> # sax2 and Xorg see different BusID's.
>>
>> That can be xorg or sax2.
>> You may try to change manually xorg.conf line:
>>    BusID        "2:0:0"
>>    BusID        "2:0:1"
>> and see if that helps.
>>
>> If you have multiboot, it will be fine if you can supply
>>    head var/log/Xorg.0.log
>> for all distros. You can snip output below 'Current Operating System:' line.
>> That will tell what version of X Window System they use.
>>
>> It will be interesting to see what nvidia Xorg.0.log tells.
>> BTW, do you have any other Xorg logs in /var/log/
>>

> OK guys, sorry for the delay, its been a busy week. (I don't know if its
> best to keep posting here or start a new thread, but as this one is
> pretty mangled anyway, I'll post here, hope you see it). I had some grub
> problems to sort out as well.
>
> As I said in my last post, I took the other cards back and am staying
> with my existing radeon 9000 for the moment. It worked acceptably in
> 10.2. My clean 10.3 install will not load X, nor will sax2 run. I pasted
> into 10.3 the xorg.conf from 10.2. This does get X up and I can log in,
> but not reliably, certainly not optimally. Sometimes the bottom 1/6th or
> so of the screen is black showing no kikker, but most times I get a full
> screen. Sometimes apps like Thunderbird freeze with warning to terminate
> it. So I still have some work to do here. I have not tried changing the
> PCI bus to "2.0.1". Also as I said before, sax will run in yast, but not
> in cli, runlevel 5 or 3.
>
> Here are logs currently on the system:
>
> xorg.conf from 10.2 but after running yast>sax in 10.3 that I'm running now
> http://pastebin.com/m24b230f
>
> xorg.conf from the 10.3 install that did not work
> http://pastebin.com/m4a33cb60
>
> sax.log after running yast>sax in 10.3
> http://pastebin.com/m40037ff1
>
> Xorg.0.log
> http://pastebin.com/m883c4cb
>
> Xorg.99.log
> http://pastebin.com/m7325d2d0
>
> I don't know if this is helpful or not, but the test install I did of
> pclinuxos loaded this card with no problems and runs glxgears at about
> 2200fps on this card (about 7 times faster than I'm getting in 10.3).
>
> pclox xorg.conf
> http://pastebin.com/m7eb8eb8f
>
> pclox Xorg.0.log
> http://pastebin.com/m68e2233

> [...]

Section "Device"
  BoardName    "RV250 If"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  BusID        "2:0:0"
  Driver       "radeon"
  Identifier   "Device[0]"
  Option       "AGPMode" "4"
  Screen       0
  VendorName   "ATI"
EndSection

Now I'm not certain that this is your problem, but I have had fits with
10.3 and my ATI Mobility 9700 not being recognized properly. Have you
looked at:

http://en.opensuse.org/ATI_Driver_HOWTO

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.