On Saturday 27 October 2007 08:17:31 am Jim Flanagan wrote:
> Rajko M. wrote:
> > It will be interesting to see what nvidia Xorg.0.log tells.
> > BTW, do you have any other Xorg logs in /var/log/
>
> OK guys, sorry for the delay, its been a busy week. (I don't know if its
> best to keep posting here or start a new thread, but as this one is
> pretty mangled anyway, I'll post here, hope you see it). I had some grub
> problems to sort out as well.
>
> As I said in my last post, I took the other cards back and am staying
> with my existing radeon 9000 for the moment. It worked acceptably in
> 10.2. My clean 10.3 install will not load X, nor will sax2 run. I pasted
> into 10.3 the xorg.conf from 10.2. This does get X up and I can log in,
> but not reliably, certainly not optimally. Sometimes the bottom 1/6th or
> so of the screen is black showing no kikker, but most times I get a full
> screen. Sometimes apps like Thunderbird freeze with warning to terminate
> it. So I still have some work to do here. I have not tried changing the
> PCI bus to "2.0.1".

No need. I posted link to mail archive article that explains that PCI BusID is
really 2:0:0 and 2:0:1 is used to satisfy some Win 2000 drivers. This is not
a reason for problems.

> Also as I said before, sax will run in yast, but not
> in cli, runlevel 5 or 3.

That was my problem with SaX2 and nvidia 6100 on board plus TwinView capable
FX 5200. Using 10.2 xorg.conf made TwinView working. Otherwise it will have
only one screen or Xorg server will hang after restart and lock computer.

> Here are logs currently on the system:
>
> xorg.conf from 10.2 but after running yast>sax in 10.3 that I'm running now
> http://pastebin.com/m24b230f
>
> xorg.conf from the 10.3 install that did not work
> http://pastebin.com/m4a33cb60
>
> sax.log after running yast>sax in 10.3
> http://pastebin.com/m40037ff1
>
> Xorg.0.log
> http://pastebin.com/m883c4cb
>
> Xorg.99.log
> http://pastebin.com/m7325d2d0
>
> I don't know if this is helpful or not, but the test install I did of
> pclinuxos loaded this card with no problems and runs glxgears at about
> 2200fps on this card (about 7 times faster than I'm getting in 10.3).
>
> pclox xorg.conf
> http://pastebin.com/m7eb8eb8f

It also usefull as it tells that monitor and card are not configured to
specific model, but few basic features. Which allows Xorg server to set
graphic as it finds good.

> pclox Xorg.0.log
> http://pastebin.com/m68e2233

It is usefull as it tells that Xorg is version 7.1 not 7.2 as openSUSE.

> I have not tried using this xorg.conf in 10.3 and don't know if that
> would be advisable due to different kernel and different xorg version.
> Anyway I hope this is easier to follow. I'd certainly appreciate any
> help. I don't know if this is a bug or not, but I have to say that I'm
> surprised that 10.3 won't pick up my settings that 10.2 did.

You can try it. It seems pretty generic. The worst that can happen is that you
have to find out hardware reset button on your computer (mostly keep pressed
power longer than 4 seconds).

I used as root in runlevel 3 command:
  X -configure
which produced some generic xorg.conf.new saved in root home directory. After
test with:
  X -config xorg.conf.new
that gave X server generic screen without window manager (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
is the way to get out of that screen) I started GUI with:
  startx
which gave me working GUI. In my case I had to add monitor sections, modes
sections, and limit highest resolution in screen section, but that is due to
exotic (read old) hardware I use, otherwise it will work with very simple
xorg.conf right away.

--
Regards,
Rajko.