Mike McMullin wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 01:17 +0100, Anders Johansson wrote:
>
>> On Monday 29 October 2007 01:13:02 Mike McMullin wrote:
>>
>>>    XP-Pro OEM for $145 USd (includes Michigan Sate Taxes, etc.), in the
>>> last 4 weeks, proper "boxed" version.
>>>
>> The OEM edition is only legal if you put together boxes for sale, you're not
>> allowed to buy it as an end user
>>

>   Note the readily available to consumer item here in the Great White
> North:
> http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=335900&sku=M17-7502
>
> and it too is OEM, Tiger Direct is no fly by night operation dealing in
> questionable software.
>

>> If you put together boxes to preload SLED on them, you can get it cheaper as
>> well
>>

>   That is something that would definitely interest me, but, I have
> questions about the annual security update subscription price for home
> users.

A lot of people seem to think there's some law against selling OEM
software, when it's in fact a contract issue between the software
company and the end vendor.  The vendor may have a contract that says
they can't sell, except as bundled with hardware, but the customer has
absolutely no contract with the software producer that prohibits buying
an OEM package.  Many vendors get around that contract by bundling with
some permitted hardware, such as a hard drive.