Chris Arnold wrote:
I have a bunch of html files that i need to do a couple of things to:
1.remove the html and head tags and replace them with other code
2.rename the file to .php

Isn't there a program that will search all the files in a given
> directory for html and head and then replace that with something
> else?

No, but you can write a shell-script using the  find  command
and use the -exec  option

>         Then rename the files?

Do you mean the  mv   command?

>                                 I have seen the replace function
> in gedit but it does not accept the php code that needs to be
> inserted (i think the code is to long). Anyone no of a
> program/way that will accomplish this?

sed, the Stream EDitor

Get the book "sed & awk" from O'Reilly books.

Get away from the non-productive GUI and learn how to
use the command line.  That's where the power is.

And don't tell me it's too hard... telephone company
SECRETARIES were using it as far back as the 1970's.