Chris Arnold schreef:
> There are a couple of reasons why this does not work. First and foremost:
> since
> your replacement text contains '/', you should use a text separator different
> from '/' like
> s#foo#bar#g
>
> If I remember correctly < and > are also special (have to look that up) and
> you
> should escape them: \< and \>.
>
> Finally, this would only work on a consecutive text without newlines and I
> think
> that is not what you have in mind.
>
> Look up the c command in sed, because I think that is what you need. This lets
> you replace a couple of lines with a couple of other lines.
>
> OK, i have looked up the c command nd run this command:
> sed -ic 's#<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Net Bible - Genesis </TITLE><LINK
> REL=Stylesheet HREF="style.css" TYPE="text/css" MEDIA=screen></HEAD><body><p
> class=title>#<?php require('../../wp-blog-header.php'); ?><?php get_header();
> ?><?php include(TEMPLATEPATH."/sidebar1.php");?><div id="main"><div
> id="content">#g' ./*
>
> And this time, i do not get an error and i am left at the prompt. Then i
> check 1 of the files and nothing has been replaced. So, is my syntax for the
> c command in sed right (sed -ic)? I tried sed -c and got an invalid --c
> option. I wonder if some of the problem is that the <TITLE>Net Bible -
> Genesis </TITLE> line is different for every file. In other words, for the
> book of Genesis, for every chapter (every chapter is a new file), this line
> would read <TITLE>Net Bible - Genesis - 50</TITLE> for chapter 50. I think i
> need something like a wildcard to use here in the sed command. I just tried
> it without the <TITLE>Net Bible - Genesis </TITLE> line in the sed command
> and it still does not replace the text. I would be happy to send someone one
> of these htm files so you could see what i am talking about.

There's a difference between command and option. You use the -ic option (I don't
know what that does, but obviously not what you want) and the s command.

I suggest you do a read up on sed. Google "sed tutorial" and if all else fails
type #sed in konquerors location bar.

Regards,
--
Jos van Kan                registered Linux user #152704