> I think you have a process somewhere with a memory hole: allocating memory
> and forgetting to free it later. I don't know if it is possible for the
> process to die without freeing the memory :-?
>
> top
> [M]
>
> usually shows it.

I'm beginning to think the same.  I can't nail it down though.  I
rebooted 3 days ago.  Since then swap partition usage is slowly edging
upward.  Immediately after a reboot, and with all the regular services
and applications running and the machine sitting at idle, roughly
1.2Gb of the 2.0Gb of RAM was allocated/used, and swap was at 0 of
4Gb.  As I used the machine for my "normal" desktop use... so using
Firefox, Thunderbird, Opera, Seamonkey, Smart, Skype, Ekiga, X-Plane,
etc, the swap partition is up to 670/4095.  Slowly... over time it
fills up, and is not being released.

This is only recently... say in the last month or so.  I can't nail it
down to what I updated recently that is doing this.

C.