Clive,

On Saturday 17 November 2007 13:13, Clive Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any one come up with why the system still locks up ?
> I have tried everything that I have seen on this list to stop the
> lock ups and tried what I have seen on the internet.

Have you installed the recent kernel upgrade? If you're succumbing to
the deadlocks to which the previous version's Reiser FS code was
susceptible, your system could appear to hang, usually partially and
likely progressively (as more processes fall into the "sleep from which
none awake," if you will).

If you have upgraded, then I'd suspect hardware problems. Have you
looked in your kernel logs (/var/log/messages) for any telltale
diagnostics?

> I did a test on the last lock up.  I inserted a data DVD in to the
> DVD draw and the system came up with the data on the DVD but I had no
> control. Neither mouse nor keyboard would bring the system back to
> me.  I had to press reset to get back into the system after a reboot.
>
> Looks like the system has a problem with the mouse and keyboard for
> some reason but what I have no idea.

It could be the hardware (are they USB or PS/2 peripherals?), but since
the mouse and keyboard input is all mediated by the X server (when it's
running), problems with mouse and keyboard responsiveness are not
necessarily hardware problems.

I've also seen systems show progressive "lock-up" when there's a
run-away process that's consuming swap space to the point where the
kernel begins to be unable launch new processes and eventually pick off
(kill) other processes.

> Clive

Randall Schulz