Hi Randall,

On Saturday 17 November 2007 21:27:42 Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Clive,
>
> On Saturday 17 November 2007 13:13, Clive Rogers wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Any one come up with why the system still locks up ?
> > I have tried everything that I have seen on this list to stop the
> > lock ups and tried what I have seen on the internet.
>
> Have you installed the recent kernel upgrade? If you're succumbing to
> the deadlocks to which the previous version's Reiser FS code was
> susceptible, your system could appear to hang, usually partially and
> likely progressively (as more processes fall into the "sleep from which
> none awake," if you will).
>
> If you have upgraded, then I'd suspect hardware problems. Have you
> looked in your kernel logs (/var/log/messages) for any telltale
> diagnostics?

Yes I am running the lastest updates.
I checked the /var/log/messages and the only thing in there is putting
the /dev/sda -a -d sat in the smartd.conf.   This I have done so I don't know
if this will cure the problem.  Probably not but its worth a try anyway.

> > I did a test on the last lock up.  I inserted a data DVD in to the
> > DVD draw and the system came up with the data on the DVD but I had no
> > control. Neither mouse nor keyboard would bring the system back to
> > me.  I had to press reset to get back into the system after a reboot.
> >
> > Looks like the system has a problem with the mouse and keyboard for
> > some reason but what I have no idea.
>
> It could be the hardware (are they USB or PS/2 peripherals?), but since
> the mouse and keyboard input is all mediated by the X server (when it's
> running), problems with mouse and keyboard responsiveness are not
> necessarily hardware problems.

Both the mouse and keyboard are wireless but plug into the PS/2 port.
Worked fine on SuSE 8,9 and 10 series but started playing up with 10.3
Works fine under XP too.

> I've also seen systems show progressive "lock-up" when there's a
> run-away process that's consuming swap space to the point where the
> kernel begins to be unable launch new processes and eventually pick off
> (kill) other processes.

I have 1 gig of DDR2 ram and a 2 gig swap.  Running on Reiser FS.

--
Kindest regards,

Clive
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.rogers/