On Sunday 02 December 2007, Jim Flanagan wrote:
> Philippe Landau wrote:
> > Jim Flanagan wrote:
> >> I'm trying to do a new install of opensuse 10.3 on a new server box. I'd
> >> like to have raid1 (mirror) set up with 2 drives. I don't know the full
> >> differences between md raid and dm raid, but I followed the instructions
> >> on installing md raid on the opensuse wiki, using yast to set up the
> >> raid partitions.
> >
> > Many even cheap Motherboards have RAID chips integrated.
> > Most cheap RAID chips are not fast so RAID5 is not worth it with them.
> > But for RAID1 wouldn't you be better served with a different Main board
> > or a hardware RAID controller ?
> >
> > Kind regards     Philippe
>
> Well, this is a home server that has not much load. I'm replacing my 2
> year old home server, P-III and Suse 10.0 that has run very well for
> almost 2 years. Since 10.0 is becoming extinct I need to do something. I
> could probably use this same box for another 2 years, but it has only 1
> hard drive and I decided to build a new one with opensuse 10.3, this
> time with raid. But a true hardware raid is too expensive and not needed
> in this environment.
>
> I've been reading a lot about the differences between software raid in
> linux and the motherboard raid options. Most linux distros recommend
> linux software raid over the mobo raid, claiming more flexibility to use
> different types of drives, no lock in to mobo drivers, etc. I suspect
> this is due to problems with mobo raid in the past, and a general
> tendency to favor open source. They do claim software raid uses more
> system resources.
>
> I'm not sure which way to go, but am leaning toward the software raid
> option (md raid).
>
> This is probably a loaded question, but any thoughts on the matter?
>
> Jim F

Hi Jim,

Hardware RAID need not be overly expensive.  You can purchase an Adaptec SATA
RAID 1210SA for about $59.00USD from Newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816103020

This card would be quite suitable for what you are doing and is fairly easy to
setup.  I have used it on a couple low-end servers and have never had a
problem.

Jesse