Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The Sunday 2007-12-02 at 09:06 -0600, Jim Flanagan wrote:
>
> > I've been reading a lot about the differences between software raid in
> > linux and the motherboard raid options. Most linux distros recommend
> > linux software raid over the mobo raid, claiming more flexibility to use
> > different types of drives, no lock in to mobo drivers, etc. I suspect
> > this is due to problems with mobo raid in the past, and a general
> > tendency to favor open source.
>
> No, it's not because problems in the past.
>
> Each mobo can use it's own method for mirroring, and that method
> doesn't have to be compatible with other mobos, not even of the same
> manufacturer. If your mobo breaks down, it's very possible you will
> not be able to reuse your hard disk without a full reformat, losing
> all data.
>
> That is the past, present, and future .-(
>
> > They do claim software raid uses more
> > system resources.
>
> Compared with a real hardware raid, yes. Compared with a fake raid
> (one that requires drivers), not really.
>
> > This is probably a loaded question, but any thoughts on the matter?
>
> There is another issue: the mobo raid should work with windows, if you
> double boot. The software one will not.

This is really the point on this type of matter. There are benefits and
trade offs to both options. In my case as I plan to use this box as my
server i really don't expect to put windows or any other OS on it,
except for future versions of opensuse! However you never know. I guess
the whole point of raid is to head off certain disk failures, ones that
you really can't predict.

You're point about mobo failure is a good one. I had not considered
that. I did consider (assuming mobo raid) what would happen if one HD
failed and I could not get an exact replacement. Even more so for a
mobo. Replacing each part with an exact duplicate becomes harder as time
moves on. My HD's are the newest Seagate's, 7200.11's, so those will
probably be available for some time to come. Different case for my mobo,
it is an inexpensive socket 754 so not sure how long they will be on the
market. (They are so inexpensive now that I could conceivably buy an
extra one now to have on hand, but there is no assurance it actually
works sitting in the box. And with the pace of new CPSs I probably won't
want the same board in 2 or more years anyway.

I did go with the software raid and all seems to be working well for now.

Many thanks to all for the great advice.

Jim F