On Sunday 02 December 2007, Jim Flanagan wrote:
<snip>
> >> I'm not sure which way to go, but am leaning toward the software raid
> >> option (md raid).
> >>
> >> This is probably a loaded question, but any thoughts on the matter?
> >>
> >> Jim F
> >
> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > Hardware RAID need not be overly expensive.  You can purchase an Adaptec
> > SATA RAID 1210SA for about $59.00USD from Newegg.com:
> >
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816103020
> >
> > This card would be quite suitable for what you are doing and is fairly
> > easy to setup.  I have used it on a couple low-end servers and have never
> > had a problem.
> >
> > Jesse
>
> Interesting, I didn't know they were that inexpensive. I'm still a bit
> unclear as to what is true raid and what is "fake" raid. Is this a true
> raid card, or is it a software raid on a card? As I said I really don't
> understand the difference.
>
> Tks,
>
> Jim F

The primary difference between "software" and "hardware" RAID is that software
RAID was developed to run under the booted Operating System.  Hardware RAID
is self-contained and provides greater performance and reliability.  The RAID
chips on most motherboards are basically disk controllers that provide a
software implementation of a RAID controller at boot.

Wikipedia has a pretty good entry on RAID:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#Implementations

Have a good one!

Jesse