Jim Flanagan wrote:
> Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
>
>> On 12/02/2007 03:32 PM, Jim Flanagan wrote:
>>

>>> Greetings all,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to do a new install of opensuse 10.3 on a new server box. I'd
>>> like to have raid1 (mirror) set up with 2 drives. I don't know the full
>>> differences between md raid and dm raid, but I followed the instructions
>>> on installing md raid on the opensuse wiki, using yast to set up the
>>> raid partitions. The problem is the system won't boot on the first
>>> reboot after install. I originally set all partitions to be extended
>>> (not primary) which didn't boot. So I started over from scratch and set
>>> /boot as primary partition with all others, swap, /, /home, etc as
>>> extended, but it still won't boot.  At this point I had enabled raid in
>>> the bios for both sata controllers, but not set up the raid volume in
>>> the motherboard raid controller.
>>>
>>> Switching gears I then tried setting up the dm raid in the bios and yast
>>> saw that as an nvidia_sometingorother and I believe that would have
>>> installed and booted, but I'm unsure whether or not I should use the dm
>>> raid or if the md raid is preferable.
>>>

>> Mine did work, but I have had a fair bit of experience with md raid.
>> First, you mentioned you had a separate boot partition.  Is that also a
>> part of your raid1?  Since grub does not understand md raid yet, it
>> needs to boot from the MBR of one of the drives.  Obviously, the generic
>> MBR (which boots the active partition) will not work with md raid, but
>> that is the default.  During install, you need to change where grub is
>> installed, putting it in the MBR.  On mine, my /boot is on my raid1
>> root.  This is noted in grub's menu.lst.  Grub finds the /boot/grub
>> directory initially via one of the drives, i.e. sda5.  It then loads
>> stage 1.5, and the raid1 modules have to be a part of the initrd for it
>> to find and use the raid1.  When I upgraded our office server, I did
>> change the defaults for grub, but it had no problems finding the raid1
>> root or boot, and installed quite smoothly, so it does work.  Just
>> remember, the default is a generic boot loader in the MBR, and grub is
>> NOT installed in the MBR.  Since if boot is on raid, that partition
>> cannot be made active, so it cannot boot that way.  GRUB needs to be
>> installed in the MBR of the drive your BIOS is set to boot from.  HTH.
>>

> I haven't gotten this working just yet, but I think I'm making progress.
> You gave me something to work with. Thanks. Will revert.
>
> Jim F

OK, I've got the software raid booting now. The main problem was I
mis-read the suse wiki
http://en.opensuse.org/How_to_install_SUSE_Linux_on_software_RAID. I had
mistakenly partially enabled raid in my bios thinking that was needed
for software raid. It is not. I had not set up the raid in the bios, but
merely enabled it. In any case that was the problem. I disabled it and
set up the raid as per the wiki and it works.

Per the wiki I made:
/boot (primary)
extended
/swap
/
/home
/share

One note here, it definitely did not like /boot being on an extended
partition, and would not boot from that. I probably could have gotten
that working too, but by making /boot a primary partition, grub boots
fine the first time, with no tweaking. I did make all other partitions,
/swap, /, /home and others extended partitions and all works fine.

Many thanks,

Jim F