On Tuesday 04 December 2007 07:32, Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Jc Polanycia wrote:
> >     I've been following this thread and have a question.  Why are you
> > running your VMWare instances on raw partitions versus image files
> > on a filesystem?
>
> -to use existing installations?
> -to use an already existing windows without the need to either
> install again or do a p2v ?
> -to drastically increase vmware machines' "harddisk" performance?
> -because it is possible to do so?

I concur. I have a separate physical drive for my VMware guest (Windows
XP) and don't want to impose the non-negligible overhead of using
virtual (host file-backed) disk drives.

Depending on circumstances, I would make different choices, of course,
but when raw performance is a concern (and face it Windows ain't
generally snappy to begin with), physical drive access is called for.

> > We use VMWare a bit over here and found that using image files
> > gives us more flexibility in with our VMs(portable, easily
> > duplicatable).
>
> sure. But there is also the reverse side of the coin.

Exactly. It's a tradeoff. As with most engineering / technical
decisions, it can't be made mindlessly, unless you like to live on
luck.

> regards
> EbR

Randall Schulz