Chris Worley wrote:
On Dec 4, 2007 6:28 AM, Jc Polanycia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
       I've been following this thread and have a question.  Why are you running
your VMWare instances on raw partitions versus image files on a filesystem?
We use VMWare a bit over here and found that using image files gives us
more flexibility in with our VMs(portable, easily duplicatable).
       Also, we use LVM on top of md RAID1 volumes(using libata) here and have
found them to be quite stable and have good performance.  Plus you then
also get the flexibility to resize partitions as needed (with some some
restrictions, of course).

Off topic, as I seldom partition anything (unpartitioned drives
perform best),

But huge filesystem perform poorly.

but, you're setting yourself up for disaster using LVM
(any corruption to the LVM layer is not recoverable... you'll loose
everything... been there done that), and the performance is poor, and
MD RAID5/6 devices can be grown (add more disks).

This is why I do NOT used LVM for home use.
Basically, I'm not diligent enough in my backups to run the
additional risk of LVM corruption.