On Wednesday 19 December 2007 12:48, Linda Walsh wrote:

> ----
>       UDP is stateless (no connection needed) -- but it is a reliable
> transport for NFS since NFS keeps track of the packet ordering and
> the packets which are 'outstanding'.

Not to mention its own checksumming, time-out and retrying.

> >> Perhaps things would improve using "async", that's a difference
> >> with local filesystems that run "async" by default. But the man
> >> page says it can be dangerous.
> >
> > VERY!

In particular, you can get notification of an error (e.g., "disk full")
on the reply to a request much later than that of the request which
actually encountered the error. Software with complex ordering and
error sensitive behavior can be seriously undermined by asynchronous
NFS. E.g. one of the most subtle problems I ever debugged was
corruption in Berkeley DB files when the aforementioned disk-full
condition occurred on a file system being accessed by the BDB code over
asynchronous NFS.

Randall Schulz