On Thursday 20 December 2007 21:23, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > In particular, you can get notification of an error (e.g., "disk
> > full") on the reply to a request much later than that of the
> > request which actually encountered the error. Software with complex
> > ordering and error sensitive behavior can be seriously undermined
> > by asynchronous NFS. E.g. one of the most subtle problems I ever
> > debugged was corruption in Berkeley DB files when the
> > aforementioned disk-full condition occurred on a file system being
> > accessed by the BDB code over asynchronous NFS.
>
> ---
>       Ug!  Running a 'db' over NFS?  That's sounds
> ugly -- especially for performance. ...

NFS is kind of ugly itself, don't you think?

>       I suppose my assumption is that if someone had a
> critical business application that they needed to be networked,
> they'd more likely be using one of the Suse-Business editions

Well, this was about 10 years ago and it was a Windows / Solaris shop.
For all I know, the BDB folks have found a way to deal with this issue.
We just turned off asynchronous operation in the NFS configuration,
since fixing the guts of the BDB code wasn't our reason for existence.

> Linda

Randall Schulz