On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 02:03 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The Thursday 2007-12-20 at 14:31 -0600, Bryen wrote:
>
> >> Unless of course that solution destroys the performance on the target
> >> system. I am the one who started this thread, and as I stated at the
> >> beginning, I have a dual core Turion L52 64bit processor, 1.5Gigs of
> >> memory and a 7200 RPM Sata drive, and the performance went out the
> >> door. Other than a large MBox in my Thunderbird, I don't have that
> >> much data to index, and Beagle took 700Meg or RAM and 1Gig of SWAP,
> >> niced or not, that causes a lot of swapping.
> >>

> > I think a bigger and more appropriate question is to determine WHY your
> > performance is degraded.
>
> Don't you see why it is degraded? It is obvious: his beagle used 700 MB of
> RAM and 1GB of swap.
>
> That's a software problem, a bug in beagle eating that much memory and
> causing swapping. Not a hardware problem at all. Or are you saying that in
> order to use beagle he should buy 2 Gigs more?
>
> - --
> Cheers,
>         Carlos E. R.

I'm saying I'm running it on my primary box with only 640MB RAM, 1 GIG
swap and I have no performance issues whatsoever.   So, the fact that
hardware was discussed before I made my comment, it was to emphasize
that the hardware issue is probably moot.    Somewhere there's a
configuration issue.  And it ain't a common issue on every machine, so
the point is, instead of bashing Beagle as a problem for everyone, let's
focus on why its a problem for SOME people and not others.  Then we can
get to the root of the problem.

--
---Bryen---