On Thursday 20 December 2007 01:45:54 pm Gary Baribault wrote:
> > OK, here's the issue: you're not "most people". I'm not most people. All
> > of us subscribed to this mailing list are probably not most people. And
> > most people don't name their files orderly, and put them in logical
> > places. I've seen people who write something about a project about the
> > Civil War and name it "project.doc". I would name it "Civil War
> > Project.odt", and that person put the file in their My Pictures folder
> > because that's where the Save dialog box is open to. They are the people
> > who would benefit most from Beagle, and that's also about 90% of the
> > computing population, so if openSUSE wants to reach that 90%, it a good
> > idea to have Beagle installed by default and turned on.
>
> Unless of course that solution destroys the performance on the target
> system. I am the one who started this thread, and as I stated at the
> beginning, I have a dual core Turion L52 64bit processor, 1.5Gigs of
> memory and a 7200 RPM Sata drive, and the performance went out the
> door. Other than a large MBox in my Thunderbird, I don't have that
> much data to index, and Beagle took 700Meg or RAM and 1Gig of SWAP,
> niced or not, that causes a lot of swapping.

Hi Gary,

what version of SUSE, Beagle, Mono is installed on your computer.

I don't see problems with beagle. Top shows that:
  beagle-helper runs with nice 19 and priority 39
  beagled       runs with nice 7 and priority 22
both nice values are lower than normal applications.
Priority number someone has to explain.

So far I recall, the discussion about ionice was already topic.
I would really like to see some beagle developer, like Joe Shaw to explain and
help again.

--
Regards,
Rajko