On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 08:23:47AM +0100, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 09:34 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > Any reason your drivers are not already in the mainline kernel?  If you
> > need help getting them there, the linuxdriverproject.org people are more
> > than willing to help you out.
>
> One is a 'stupid' driver that replaces the serial port driver for a
> specified serial port, implementing a photocell sensor that time tags
> the port interrupt and does an asynchronous message (seen in the user's
> app via select/poll/SIGIO). I would not imagine anyone would be
> interested in it.

{sigh}  We (the kernel.org community) are interested in _every_ driver
out there, even if it only has 1 user.  Heck, we have whole
subarchitectures with only 3 users, and that is much more intrusive than
a driver.  See my 2006 OLS talk for more details about this:
        http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/ols_2006_keynote.html

> One other driver, the bttv driver, already has our changes in the
> mainline. We hired a bttv developer to make the changes, In that case,
> it was a v4l2 feature that was defined in the API but was not present in
> the bttv driver. It is now. Before the changes made it into the kernel,
> we had to make a local compile and provide it. In 10.3 that is no longer
> needed.

Good to hear.

> The other drivers are from special cards we use. One driver is not ours.
> We have the source because we use the cards. It is a multi-port realtime
> jpeg2000 compression/decompression card. Which has primarily Linux
> support. Perhaps the developer of that card is interested in this.

That sounds interesting to others, it should also go in :)

thanks,

greg k-h