Donnerstag, 20. Dezember 2007 Hans Witvliet:

> Many years ago i used a RT-os,
> But when seeing you asking for videodrivers and vmware......
>
> For real RT-applications, you should want to avoid unneeded IRQ's at all
> time: barebone, no graphics (but serial console), no virtualisation, no
> add-on hardware and as much as possible unneeded io on your mobo
> disabled.

On linux kernels you can sort and prioritize IRQ's. They're called "Interrupt
requests" for a reason.

If the realtime infrastructure is up and healthy then there's really no reason
for your realtime applications to not deliver -- no matter what is going on
on your desktop.

Well, the rt-application could suck, for that matter. Multiple rt-action might
drain ressources. Hell, the metal could run hot :) And I don't know about
hardware level virtualization and its effects on irq handling.

Wolfgang

ps: What was the OS/application you were using?