On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 23:54 +0100, Wolfgang Woehl wrote:
> Donnerstag, 20. Dezember 2007 Hans Witvliet:
>
> > Many years ago i used a RT-os,
> > But when seeing you asking for videodrivers and vmware......
> >
> > For real RT-applications, you should want to avoid unneeded IRQ's at all
> > time: barebone, no graphics (but serial console), no virtualisation, no
> > add-on hardware and as much as possible unneeded io on your mobo
> > disabled.
>
> On linux kernels you can sort and prioritize IRQ's. They're called "Interrupt
> requests" for a reason.
>
> If the realtime infrastructure is up and healthy then there's really no
> reason
> for your realtime applications to not deliver -- no matter what is going on
> on your desktop.
>
> Well, the rt-application could suck, for that matter. Multiple rt-action
> might
> drain ressources. Hell, the metal could run hot :) And I don't know about
> hardware level virtualization and its effects on irq handling.
>
> Wolfgang
>
> ps: What was the OS/application you were using?

Hm, hit the button too soon.

It's not that rt-applications suck and leave no reources for "the rest",
but the other way round.
RT-applications, very often AV-applications, medical or control
application must respond within a predefined time to a input-signal.
Comes hell or high tide, no matter what, rt-applications just must.

Multiple rt-actions (often re-entrant) shouldn't cause any problems.
However, if you drain the available resources by non-rt-hardware, or
used closed-source virtualisation, there might come a point where you
can no longer prove that your application will always respond within the
given time. This might cause distorted audio/video, or even loose a
customer-contract.
(something like: the safety-valve/medication was not released in time
because the operators were playing tux-racer ;-)

btw, it/s not without a reason that the developpers from asterisk
seriously discourage the use of a X-environment on a pabx.

But if that all does not apply, go ahead, startup gnome
And as it's open, there might be a rt-xen-variant sooner than
rt-extensions for vmware.

hw