Joe Sloan wrote:
> My first reaction on seeing advice to reboot is to think "what idiot
> wrote this" but I will for the time being withhold judgement until I can
> find a copy of that and read the context. If my first impression is
> correct though, it wouldn't be the first time some well meaning writer
> from a microsoft background recommended a completely unnecessary reboot
> on a linux system, supposedly to cause some trivial configuration change
> take effect.

I understand what you're saying.  I'm too new at Linux to debate the
issue, but I don't know of a Windows system that requires a reboot after
creating a scheduled task, either, so it would be hard to place the
blame there.  It could just be a misunderstanding, but the author(s)
seem to know Linux well, judging from the rest of the book.

The exact quote on that page, following the section on setting up an
automated backup, is:

    "You'll need to reboot your system for the new scheduling to take
effect."