Jerry Houston wrote:
> Joe Sloan wrote:
>>> "You'll need to reboot your system for the new scheduling to take
>>>  effect."
>>>

>> Yeah that just sounds completely insane. Can you tell me, did the
>> book say to schedule the task with cron?
>>

> No.  I think I mentioned earlier that I used the YaST System Backup
> module to set it up.  That writes to /etc/cron.d, but I didn't use
> cron directly.  (And that's the method described in the book as
> well.)

OK, so it does use cron then - whether via a crontab command, or files
in /etc/cron.d the end result is the same. and editing cron entries has
never required a reboot in any version of unix ever made.

That glaring blooper in itself is enough to make me doubt the author
really knows much about linux, since it's such a basic point.

Joe