Thanks to all who responded.  I've been through most of this and can't
find the love :)
Dragging files from konqueror to kate implies that I can view both apps,
which usually means resizing two apps just to open a file.  I do this
hundreds of times a day so having it "easy" is important.

Ive found that if you highlight a file, choose from the edit menu  "edit
file type" select kate from the list and press edit button; selet the
appliction tab, and in the command field change kate to "kate --use".
This will cause the file to be opened in an existing instance of kate.
Unfortunately I can't get it to open in a "particular" instance, ie the
instance for that virtual desktop, which is what I'd like (I have 6 very
busy desktops, and I'd like an instance of kate for each one).  I could
have kate displayed on all desktops, but then there are 30 files open in
it, many of which have the same names making it hard to find the right file.

I suppose I should create an enhancement request to kde, but that would
take a lot of time and I'm way short of that...

thanks again..
wcn