On Monday 14 January 2008 07:14, Kain, Becki (B.) wrote:
>  okay, I'm trying to solve why certain processes keep pegging cpu's
> and not letting them go.  What do you suggest I use to track this
> down?

Well, for starters you have to identify the processes in question and
find out what they do or are supposed to do.

It's true that most of the routine monitoring application (top, e.g.)
are somewhat crude. If a program just pegs the CPU for an extended
period of time, then you can clearly see that in top or one of its
brethren. But if a program makes excessive but sporadic use of the CPU,
it won't help. And if the CPU is not tied to a process (excessive
interrupts, e.g.), then it won't cause any process to move up on a top
listing 'cause the CPU utilization is not accounted to any process.

The most sophisticated program you have for monitoring your system is
KDE System Guard. It can record and display a lot of information both
locally and remotely. It can show a tabular display such as that of
(or, more aptly, like "qps") and it can plot values graphically over
time.

> Thanks in advance

Randall Schulz