Kain, Becki (B.) wrote:
The box is sluggish and what's happening is that certain web processes
are pegging the cpu's and not letting go.  I'm trying to figure out why
it's happening.  Ideas for me, on how to debug this?  Thanks

You're misinterpreting here.

processes do not have the power to "hold" the CPU, because
Linux, like all Unix systems  and derivatives, uses
pre-emptive scheduling.  A process gets a time slice (maybe
1/100th of a second) MAXIMUM before a timer interrupts the
process, and the scheduler re-evaluates which process will
run next..

IF one process is totally on the CPU all the time, it means
that no other process is "ready" to run.  A process which
just had the CPU, and was interrupted by the timer has the
LOWEST priority to run on the CPU for all processes at the
same nice level as it's at.

If he's trying to do web serving on a machine that's also
being used as a desktop...the problem isn't CPU usage,
it's more likely disk-drive utilization conflicts...

It's hard to be specific when the machine in question is
30 miles away from where I sit right now.