with the VA and veterans' service organizations are
finally getting appreciation for what they endured,
in the course of giving advice to us.

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 15:29 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
Kain, Becki (B.) wrote:
Where do you work?
I recently returned from a year in Baghdad with E Company,
1-125th Infantry Battalion, so not anywhere at the moment.
The rest of the Bn just got mobilized for about 9 months
in Kuwait.

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Kulkis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 12:46 AM
To: Kain, Becki (B.)
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Top/lsof

Kain, Becki (B.) wrote:
Or it means that the first process never says "i'm finished, you can
swap me out".
There's no mechanism for that, other than the sleep(2)
system call.  The other ways that the process gives up
the CPU are
1: waiting for resources (such as opening or reading
a file, executing a wait(2) to collect the exit codes
of child processes, etc).
2: The time-slice timer runs out, and the process is
forcibly interrupted, and execution is given to the
process schedulre.

What you're thinking of is the cooperative multi-tasking
model (pre OS X Macs would be a good example).

I suggest you get "The Design of the Unix Operating System".
I believe the author's name is Maurice J. Bach.

Yes, here we go:
<http://www.amazon.com/Design-Unix-Operating-System-Hardcover/dp/B000M85
BS6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200475812&sr=8-2>

$15.00 is an excellant price.  My copy of the previous
edition cost by around $85.00

While this is the Unix operating system, not Linux,
the general principles of the process scheduler still
appply, because the Unix process scheduler is the
definition of the expected behavior -- therefore, Linux
imitates it almost exactly (except that Linux can have
real-time processes, and circa 1990 Unix did not).

It's not a desktop, it's just a web server. Where are you, that
you're
30 miles from deaborn?  Just curious
I'm in Royal Oak.