From: Aaron Kulkis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 12:42 PM
To: opensuse
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Top/lsof

Kain, Becki (B.) wrote:
Thanks.  I have a user who is very upset about this web server.  Other
ideas for figuring out what is pegging the pu's?

it really doesn't matter if one CPU is pegged or not...
as long as there are clock-cycles available.
Some software is "bursty"... the nature of the problem
causes the software to run flat out, and will get lucky
that nothing else is schedule-able...and will get scheduled
AGAIN...and thus momentarily peg CPU usage....

That's not bad...it's GOOD.. you're getting maximum
CPU throughput.

The question is...how is the system RESPONDING????

if you want to see which processes are hitting the CPU
the hardest...just look at the list of processes that
start on line 5 or so of top's display...

The processes at the top of the list are the ones using
the highest percentage of CPU time during the most
recent polling period (default 1 second)