John B Pace wrote:
So, it is like it used to be, Carlos? Really no need for antivirus
software?

Non-root users still don't have root abilities, so, no, of
course not.

Do downloaded files suddenly make themselves executable,
without you chmod'ing them?

The security model hasn't changed since 1970, BECAUSE IT
DOESN'T NEED TO BE!

Remember, the Unix security model was designed with the presumption
that ANY user might accidentally do something utterly stupid,
and so the whole system was designed to protect users from
each others' stupidity.

> Interesting that the windows machines are being protected
from themselve.

What cave have you been hiding in for the last 15 years?

> I assume some distros must be weaker than others? Or why
would clamav or antivir (Avira GmbH) been created.

To weed out Microsoft viruses.

Sheesh, John, name one Linux virus.

The last outbreak of malware in the *nix community was
over 20 years ago...and that was due to buffer overruns
(which have since been corrected) on hardware so obsolete
that you can't even find in operation any more (VAX-11
and Motorola 680x0 CPUs)

> I'm probably sticking
my foot in my mouth or worse my head where the sun doesn't bother
shining, but I'm really curious as to clamav and antivir. You don't have
to answer this if you don't want, Carlos. I can check it out! Thanks!
John

They're for the purpose of protecting Windows clients
from malware-infested Windows viruses.