This is an example of top-posting. In other words, my reply is posted at
the top of this message. Now scroll all the way down to the bottom of
this message to see an example of bottom posting and a longer
explanation of posting models.

Neil wrote:
> On 1/23/08, ba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> post
>> top
>> not
>> do
>> Please
>> Please,
>
> Do you mean I top posted? I am a newb, but I thought top posting was
> something else. Waht did I do wrong?
> Neil
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> What is the video card brand? Do they have native linux drivers? Did
>>> you install them? Did you try to config it using the native programs?
>>> I work with 3 monitors, and noticed Yast isn't simple when it gets to
>>> multiple monitors. I ended up modifying some of the xorg.conf file.
>>> Then again, my situation is quite complicated due to two vidcards
>>> (both Nvidia) and a wacom tablet.
>>>
>>> Neil

This is an example of bottom posting. In other words, my reply is posted
at the bottom of the message. Which to use is a subject that takes on an
almost religious fervor. Proponents of each posting model (see below)
can give dozens of reasons why their model is best. In practice, the
solution to which model is used is set by the owner(s) of the list. The
 owner(s) of this list appear to prefer bottom posting. A couple other
things that can get you yelled at on this list is sending html mail and
hijacking a thread. Hijacking is changing the topic being discussed
without changing the subject line. See the subject line of this reply to
see one way to change it. Okay. As promise here's some more info on the
posting models, probably more than you want to know. Anyway...

=====

How to Post Replies

(Originally posted to an online University of Phoenix class.)

I have noticed that the postings here keep getting longer and longer,
making it difficult to determine who and what is being responded to. A
general rule is to edit out those parts that do not relate to your
reply. However, there are three response models to choose from.

1. Top Posting - This is where you put your reply at the top of the
message with all other earlier replies below. This appears to be the
model that UOP prefers. While top posting makes it easier for the person
replying, it makes it more difficult for a reader since she has to
scroll down to find the message you are replying to. Since the goal is
to get your point across, you should make it as easy as possible for
readers to figure out your point.

2. Bottom Posting - This is where you put your reply at the bottom of
the message with all other earlier replies above. While bottom posting
makes it more difficult for the person replying, it  makes it easier for
the reader, especially if this model is combined with appropriate
editing of the message you are replying to.

3. Dispersed Posting - This is where you insert your reply just below
the part of the message you are replying to. This may result in several
parts of a reply 'dispersed' throughout the message being replied to.
This is the most difficult for the person replying since it almost
requires editing but it results in better communications since the
reader has no problem figuring out what the reply is replying to.

While there is no model, there is one more situation that I refer to as
'random' posting. This occurs when some participants in a thread top
post, others bottom post, and a third may try to use dispersed posting,
all without regard to what has gone before. In these cases, it becomes
almost impossible to determine what the latest reply is replying to.
Unfortunately, this seems to happen a lot in the UOP forums. So, what do
you do in such a situation?

The rule I try to follow is to use whatever model was used earlier. In
other words, if the first reply is top-posted, then I will top post my
reply. If the first reply is bottom posted, I will bottom post my reply.
If everyone would follow this rule, the discussions would be much easier
to follow. But we cannot control those who will not comply. So, in order
to get your point across, it becomes incumbent on you to edit out
irrelevant parts of the message you are replying to so that there is no
doubt which part you are replying to. Remember that your posts must be
substantive in order to count toward participation. If I cannot figure
out what you are replying to, I may decide that it is not substantive.
Keep this in mind while deciding how to reply.

I have tried valiantly to get UOP students to use the bottom-post model
with very limited success. The result of these efforts is a decrease in
effective communications. I have therefore decided to use the most
popular reply model, top posting, in my classroom interactions.

=====

Hope this helps.

Don Henson