Carlos E. R. wrote:

The Monday 2008-01-28 at 18:20 -0000, Bob wrote:

My system looks like this:

Device          Size            Mount point     Free
sda2            965.1MB /               0B
sda3            60.8MB          /boot           46.8MB
sda5            9.8GB           /usr            4.9GB
sda6            2.0GB           /var            1.2GB
sda7            2.0GB           /opt            906.3MB
sda8            1011.4MB        /tmp            926.4MB
sda9            257.3GB /home           154.1GB

Can anyone suggest a simple CLI incantation to find all files larger than,
say, 500MB?

Considering that / is only 1 GB in size, I don't think that's the problem.

I would use 'mc', mark all directories not included in the list above, and then tell it to display directory sizes. Find what they are and what they hold.

His problem is that his home directory is on the root partition,
so he filled up the root partition with personal files.

Why ANY installer doesn't make /home a separate partition by
default is beyond me.