Randall R Schulz wrote:
> On Monday 28 January 2008 09:59, Bill Anderson wrote:
>>
>> I prefer the term pseudo filesystem, since /proc does not reside in
>> memory. As with any file system, procfs implements the functions
>> defined by vfs, the virtual filesystem. The functions implemented
>> actually read from, and in some cases write to, kernel data
>> structures. The pathnames under /proc define which functions to call.
>> There are a large number of such file systems: rootfs, sysfs,
>> relayfs, tmpfs, and the list goes on. It works, because every
>> filesystem is an implementation of vfs.
>
> Where they do _not_ reside is on mass storage. It most certainly _does_
> reside in primary storage (a.k.a. "memory," a.k.a. RAM). The fact that
> the information is derived on-demand from the current state of the
> system is only incidental and not fundamentally different from the
> constituents of any more ordinary file system.
>

>> Bill Anderson
>> WW7BA
>

> Randall Schulz
You will not find a structure in the kernel that is an exact reflection
of /proc. As I said, it is only a filesystem in that every filesystem is
an implemention of vfs. The system calls involving any filesystem, flow
through vfs. Furthermore, any module can create an entry in the /proc
filesystem, and provide the routines to handle the open, close, read,
and write requests. The reason for the existence of /proc is to provide
a link between kernel space and user space that does not involving the
creation of a system call to handle every request for information.
Furthermore, you can configure the kernel so that it does not create a
/proc structure. Of course, some of the user space commands will not
work (eg: ps, vmstat, lsof, lsmod, lsusb, lspci, and others), as they
derive their information from /proc. If you have an doubts, you can see
the source fo information by using strace on any command.

Bill Anderson
WW7BA