From: Jonas Eriksson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 11:55 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [OS-webwork] OGNL list question again

Ok, thanks for the help. I didn't know about the "always use String[] in parameter map" thing.

The number of input fields are dynamic in my view, and therefore I used the OgnlList.

I didn't have any luck with adding add(String) or set(int, String) to my List, ognl just uses the set(int, Object obj) method (obj = String[]). I tried using a String[] instead of a List, didn't work. I tried using index getters and setters in my action (instead of returning the list, array), didn't work.

My solution to this is to create a data placeholder that I put in my OgnlList. By using it I can write

<input type="text" name="list[1].string" ...

Cheers
Jonas

John Patterson wrote:

Form values in the parameter map are always of type

String[] even if

they contain only one value. This is because you may

return muliple

values with the same name (ie checkboxs) from an html form.

You do not need to use an OnglList here. When you use an

OgnlList it

is prepopulated with objects so that you can set properties

on those

objects. In your example the List is populted with Strings

(immutable)

which are then replaced by the String[] value from the

parameter map.

You could instead extend List with a add(String) method which would use XWorks type conversion to use the first String in the array.

John.