I agree about the detect approach. I think enabling a list of minimum packages
for a build with the features we like would be a good idea. Perhaps going
through the list at an IRC meeting would be a good idea?

> > That beggars the questions:
> >
> >  - Which other libraries/features are disabled by default in the new
> build system?
>
> I will fix the documentation at last stage.
> Maybe I do this now.
> For now you can determine if feature is --enable or --disable. If --
> enable it is disabled :)

Thanks, I'll have a look at the list.

> >  - Could you please specify any other behavioural changes in the
> default OpenVPN build system? Things like the --with-xxx-headers
> options disappearing?
> >
> > It would be nice to have some documentation for packagers as to what
> has changed where, and why. Further, as not everyone knows the
> "correct" autotools way of doing things, a little extra information
> goes a long way in educating us developers. Merely saying "because it
> was wrong" is not going to cut it in any community.
>
> Dependencies are detected using pkgconfig if possible.
> Overriding can be done by using environment variables.
> See ./configure --help for a list of variables.
> For example setting LZO_CFLAGS/LZO_LIBS will override LZO specific
> settings.
> If you don't have pkgconfig set PKG_CONFIG=true and provide locations
> of all libraries. Most libraries will be detected if you place
> CFLAGS="-I.../include" and LDFLAGS="-L.../lib" without library specific
> settings.

Does pkgconfig work/exist across many platforms, or is it a dependency that
might hurt us on for example Mac OS, Windows or *BSD? The reason why I ask is
that an argument against other systems such as scons and cmake was that they
created extra build dependencies. Is it difficult to install, or is it shipped
by default on most platforms?

> Within the autoconf itself the above has much impact. As instead of
> previous proprietary openssl library/header detection there is a much
> simpler implementation. So I won't get into details why previous was
> wrong.

That sounds reasonable.