On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 21:28:29 +0000 (UTC), Jason Long via Openvpn-users
<openvpn-users@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

>Hi Jochen,Thank you for your advice about the How-to articles.Can you answer
>my questions?

>1- What is the difference between /etc/openvpn and /etc/openvpn/server
>directories?
>   I put my server.conf file in the /etc/openvpn directory and it worked.

You are running an *old* version of OpenVPN! The service infrastructure has
changed and OpenVPN now defaults to using two subdirectories (client and server)
to /etc/openvpn to handle the two different uses of it.
Please read up on how it works in the new docs.

>2- You said "./easyrsa sign-req client client", make those unique ideally per
>device,
>not just per user. How to make it unique per user?

You have to generate *separate* encryption files for each client where the CN
entry is *unique*, otherwise the server can never differentiate between them and
you cannot allow/block clients individually.
Also you open for abuse of your server.

>If I have 1000 clients, then I must generate 1000 key files???

Exactly!

>3- For the CA certificate, I must use "Server" not "server". May I ask why?

So you are not aware that Linux is case sensitive?
"Server" is NOT equal to "server"...
So what you use depends on what *exact* name you set the CN to when genererating
the files.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden