On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 8:24 AM, Bo Berglund
<bo.bergl...@gmail.com> wrote:On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 21:28:29 +0000 (UTC), Jason
Long via Openvpn-users
<openvpn-users@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

>Hi Jochen,Thank you for your advice about the >How-to articles.Can you answer
>my questions?

>1- What is the difference between >/etc/openvpn and /etc/openvpn/server
>>directories?
>  I put my server.conf file in the /etc/openvpn >directory and it worked.

>You are running an *old* version of OpenVPN! >The service infrastructure has
>changed and OpenVPN now defaults to using >two subdirectories (client and
>server)
>to /etc/openvpn to handle the two different >uses of it.
>Please read up on how it works in the new >docs.

>2- You said "./easyrsa sign-req client client", >make those unique ideally per
>device,
>not just per user. How to make it unique per >user?

>You have to generate *separate* encryption >files for each client where the CN
>entry is *unique*, otherwise the server can >never differentiate between them
>and
>you cannot allow/block clients individually.
>Also you open for abuse of your server.

>If I have 1000 clients, then I must generate >1000 key files???

>Exactly!

>3- For the CA certificate, I must use "Server" >not "server". May I ask why?

>So you are not aware that Linux is case >sensitive?
>"Server" is NOT equal to "server"...
>So what you use depends on what *exact* >name you set the CN to when
>genererating
>the files.

>--
>Bo Berglund
>Developer in Sweden

Hello,Thank you so much.If I forget the CN name, then if I open the "ca.crt"
file and click on the Details tab and check the Issuer section, then this is
the name that I have entered during generating the key?