> On Tuesday, January 16th, 2024 at 10:59 AM, Gert Doering
> <g...@greenie.muc.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 07:10:02AM +0000, Peter Davis via Openvpn-users wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Thanks again.
> > So, if I delete the client keys from the OpenVPN server,
> > the clients can still connect to the server.
>

> Yes.
>
> > 1- Is "pki/ca.crt" unique for each client?
>

> No. This is the CA's certificate, acting as a trusted introducer - this
> is the glue that enables both ends to verify each other's certificates,
> by having a signature from the CA, verifiable with the same ca.crt.
>
> > 2- You said that if I use authentication based on username and password,
> > then two people cannot connect to the server at the same time with the
> > same username and password. Is this possible if each client has its own
> > unique key?
>

> I said that OpenVPN will (by default) disallow multiple logins with the same
> client key+cert.
>
> Username + password is an extra bonus to control who is allowed in and
> who is not, or introduce 2FA requirements, etc.
>
> > For example, if I generate a client key and share it with 100 people
>

> I'm not willing to answer questions that start with "share client key".
>
> Don't. Ever.
>
> gert
> --
> "If was one thing all people took for granted, was conviction that if you
> feed honest figures into a computer, honest figures come out. Never doubted
> it myself till I met a computer with a sense of humor."
> Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
>
> Gert Doering - Munich, Germany g...@greenie.muc.de

Hi,
Thanks again.
1- You said "I said that OpenVPN will (by default) disallow multiple logins
with the same client key+cert.", so if I generate a client key using the
commands below, then I can't use this key on multiple devices at the same time?

# ./easyrsa gen-req <client name> nopass
# sign-req client <client name>

I think you are wrong, I generated a client key using the command above and was
able to use it on multiple devices at the same time!!!

2- I know that it is better for each client to have its own unique key. Now if
one of the clients share his\her key with others, then if I have used the
"--auth-user-pass" option, then two people cannot use the same username and
password to login at the same time if each client has its own unique key?