Luigi Mantellini wrote:
> Hi  Daniel,
>
> to have a consistent build it's mandatory to have the same toolchain.
> For this reason I think that distcc should be used only under this
> hypothesis.
> I'm using the external toolchain support and it works fine (I used
> ELDK's and CodeSourcery's toolchains with good results).
>
> I'm not sure if cerate a tools package for distcc is a good idea or
> just add a prereq-build rule.
Though you prefer this option, I believe using external toolchain
support in OpenWrt will always be the exception, not the rule. We can
easily add toolchains like CodeSourcery's or ELDK's to our own build
infrastructure, as their sources are open as well.
Even external toolchain support itself does not guarantee any form of
consistency, since you could have accidentally used the wrong toolchain
and the system might not notice. Because of that, I also consider the
dependency on external toolchains to be bogus.
Here's how I would ensure consistency:
- Change OpenWrt toolchain identification string to include the arch
- On each distcc build host, compile a simple test program such as
'int main(int argc, char **argv){ return 0; }' to assembler and grep for
the .ident string and compare it against the same thing on the local
machine.
In OpenWrt, toolchains of the same arch and version usually do not
change very often, so I believe this is more reliable than your reliance
on external toolchains.

- Felix